A few weeks ago when I was visiting my parents, I tried some egg and sausage sandwiches that my mom had prepared ahead of time and froze. They are just glorified Egg McMuffins, but I was very surprised at how great they tasted after being frozen and then reheated in the microwave. I made a batch a few weeks ago and we went through them so quickly that we are already on our second batch. They are a great grab-n-go breakfast when you are short on time.
This recipe would also be such an easy way to serve a crowd, especially if you wanted something ready completely ahead of time. I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe to make ahead and pack in a cooler for future trips – all you need is a small freezer and microwave to prepare these egg sandwiches once you get to your ski condo, beach house, summer-getaway cabin, etc.
Freezer Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches Recipe:
- 12 eggs
- 12 English muffins (I used whole-wheat)
- 12 breakfast sausage patties
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat broiler on oven. Split the English muffins and place on a large baking sheet. Toast both sides under broiler (1-2 minutes). Set English muffins aside. Turn off broiler and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook sausage patties in a frying pan until completely cooked and nicely browned. Set sausage patties aside.
- Crack all the eggs into a large measuring cup, add salt and pepper (to taste), and whisk thoroughly. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and pour the egg mixture evenly into the 12 cups. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Remove eggs from oven and top each cup evenly with the shredded cheese. Return to oven until cheese is just melted. Remove from oven.
- Assemble the sandwiches in the following order: 1 English muffin half, one egg and cheese round, one sausage patty, 1 English muffin half.
- Once the sandwiches are cool, wrap each one individually in plastic wrap and place each wrapped sandwich into a resealable freezer bag.
- To reheat- Remove plastic wrap and wrap egg sandwich in a paper towel. Microwave for 1 and ½ to 2 minutes (depending on the strength of your microwave.)
Source: Adapted from Foodie with Family