As you all know, we are nearing the Fourth of July holiday. In preparation for my family’s annual reunion, I have tried to think of cute patriotic desserts that I can make to give out to everyone. I have also been meaning to post the classic “White Trash Party Mix” recipe that I have referred to several times in past posts, but have never given you all the recipe for it. Killing two birds with one stone, I decided it would be a fun idea to make Red, White, and Blue Trash Party Mix simply by using only red and blue M&M’s in the regular white trash recipe.
Let me tell you a few things about this White Trash, since the name may sound suspicious to you. I make this party mix quite often to bring to parties and it always a huge hit. My other older sister, C, is the queen of this recipe and as an elementary school teacher is always bringing it in for her students and co-workers. For some reason, I always lose the recipe and have to ask C for the recipe again every time I make it. I am finally writing the recipe down on my blog so that I don’t lose it and C won’t have to keep sending it over and over. Also, just a tip, M&M’s don’t actually come in Fourth of July packages, but you can buy the colors separately at party store, like Party City, or do what I did and sort out all the red and blue from the regular packages. I bagged all the remaining colors of m&m’s in snack bags in 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus servings. Now I have pre-packaged desserts for weeks!
- 5 cups of Cheerios
- 2½ cups rice Chex
- 2½ cups corn Chex
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2½ cups salted peanuts
- 16 oz. Milk Chocolate M&M’s (in Red and Blue if you are aiming for Patriotic)
- 2 packages of white chocolate chips (Ghirardelli brand preferred)
- 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil (if needed)
- In a double boiler (or a metal or glass bowl over a pot of boiling water) melt the white chocolate. If the white chocolate gets dry, add in the canola oil to smooth it out.
- In a large bowl mix together Cheerios, Rice Chex, corn Chex, Pretzels, peanuts, and M& M’s.
- Pour melted white chocolate over cereal mixture and stir until the white chocolate covers all the pieces
- On 2 baking sheet lined with wax paper, pour out mixture on to baking sheets and let cool.
- Once hardened break into pieces and serve
- Store in an airtight container or large storage bag.