Jalapeño poppers weren’t something I always desired. I had thought they would be too spicy for me until a friend made me try hers in college. After that, it was love at first bite and I couldn’t get enough. I love jalapeño poppers so much I once telepathically communicated with my mom to tell her to make them for me. Okay, okay, maybe it wasn’t exactly telepathic, but I did tell my little sister that I thought it would be amazing to have jalapeño poppers when we got home. Which we didn’t discuss again until we got home and my mom had made homemade jalapeño poppers. She never had made them for us before either, so see, totally telepathic! I have tried a few homemade jalapeño popper recipes on my own like the one here. So when I found the recipe for jalapeño stuffed chicken I knew it would be a winner in my book.
I have been making this recipe a lot lately since my boyfriend basically asks for it every week. This was my first stuffed chicken recipe I have made because I always assumed they were too much work or too fatty, but this recipe was easy to put together and actually somewhat low-fat. To stuff the chicken I used all reduced-fat ingredients like reduced-fat cream cheese, reduced-fat shredded cheddar, and turkey bacon. I then serve the chicken with a fiesta rice which I will give you the recipe for later this week. So stay tuned for more yumminess .
- 2 slices of cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- 3 jalapeño, chopped with seeds and ribs removed*
- 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped scallions
- 4 3oz. chicken breast, rinsed, dried and pounded thin
- ⅓ cup whole wheat Italian bread crumbs
- 1½ limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and fresh pepper
- olive oil non-stick spray
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together cream cheese, shredded cheese, scallions, chopped jalapeño, and crumbled turkey bacon.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper then place bread crumbs on a large plate.
- Lay pounded out chicken onto a cutting board or working surface. Place 2-3 tbsp. of cream cheese mixture in the middle and then tightly roll chicken around the filling. Close the edges of the chicken with toothpicks so the filling doesn’t leak out (There will still be some small filling that leak out.)
- Take rolled chicken and dip in lime/oil mixture and roll around. Take chicken out roll in bread crumbs. Place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat for the rest of the chicken. Once all chicken is stuffed and breaded spray with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, and serve.
*Please note- Jalapeño’s seeds and ribs are extremely hot and can burn the skin so please wear gloves or plastic bags on hands when handling and wash knife an cutting board with hot soap water after. If you do get a jalapeño burn, soak your burn in milk of magnesia, brand name Maalox (it worked for me!)
Recipe Source– Adapted from Skinnytaste