When I first thought of this post for veggie cream cheese, I didn’t realize K was going to be writing about making homemade bagels this week. Sometimes things just work out like that! I got this recipe for veggie cream cheese from my husband’s Aunt N. It’s very easy to whip up a batch and serve it to company as an easy, but tasty breakfast. I served it to my family for the breakfast on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
You don’t need to follow this recipe exactly- just add more or less of the ingredients you enjoy. I usually make it with carrots, celery, and green onions, but radishes, peppers, or fresh herbs would all work nicely. I also tend to make it with a mix of regular cream cheese and light cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese. This cuts some of the fat and calories without a huge reduction to flavor.
- 8 oz. regular cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 oz. light or Neufchatel cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons carrots, finely chopped (rainbow carrots add some fun color, but regular carrots work as well)
- 3 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on low speed with a paddle attachment until blended. Serve with toasted bagels.
Source: Adapted from Barefoot Contessa
What’s your favorite way to enjoy a bagel?