Oh hello! Yeah, I couldn’t stay away from desserts for too long this January. When I saw this recipe on-line, I nearly started to hyperventilate because I wanted to make them so bad. Plus, there was that whole thing when you realize that you already own all the ingredients and you can get started baking them right then and there. That is how that went.
I also thought I could eat just one of these and not use all my Weight Watchers points…oh so wrong. The boyfriend wasn’t sure if he was going to like a coconut lemon bar but soon after they were ready to eat, he was sold. I loved these so much that I had to put them away in the freezer to save them for another time. The freezer is always my defense for food that is too tasty. Enjoy!
- For Crust: 1 cup flour
- ½ cup of confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- For Filling: 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- zest of one large lemon
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. flour
- 1½ tsp. cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- For Topping: ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Combine crust ingredients in a large bowl using a pastry cutter until ingredients are mixed and crumbly looking. (I used my hands to mix it all up and get it to that consistency.)
- Press into the bottom of the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until dough turns lightly golden. Press down any bubbles that formed during baking.
- While crust is baking, mix together all ingredients up to and including the coconut.
- Pour filling onto crust and then bake for 25-30 minutes until the center is set.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of confectioners’ sugar and slice into bars.
Source: Adapted from Cookies and Cups, as seen on My Baking Addiction