Have you ever noticed on restaurant menus that anything with California in the title has avocado in it? The California BLT has avocado added, as well as the California chopped salad and the California eggs benedict. I am not complaining about this because I love avocados. In the grocery stores out here, avocados have been on sale lately for practically nothing (two or sometimes four for a dollar.) I have been making BLTs with avocado like it’s my job. The restaurant that caters my company’s cafeteria calls them BLATs, which I feel is the perfect name because it’s fun to say “may I please have a Blat.”
So…. avocados are abundant everywhere here in California. When I saw this recipe for avocado salsa, I knew I had to try it. I served it for lunch over the weekend so I could take advantage of some natural sunlight photos. This recipe would be perfect to serve this weekend when you are watching the Oscars! I served it with Baked Tostitos Scoops because they are my favorite. Plus, I had to save calories because of my boyfriend’s latest baking adventures… more on that later.
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into chunks
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from ½ lime, should equal about 1 tbsp.
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add tomatoes, onions, cilantro and avocado to a medium sized bowl.
- Lightly stir together, the avocado should remain chunky because it’s a salsa not a guacamole.
- Add in lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper; and stir so all of the tomatoes and avocados are evenly covered.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips or on tacos.
- *To keep leftover salsa from browning, place plastic wrap sprayed with a little cooking spray directly on top of salsa, pressing down slightly to cover the entire exposed top. Then top bowl tightly with another piece of plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. It will still brown a little but this definitely slows it down.
Source- Adapted from Chef in Training