I have been meaning to share this cookie recipe for the past two weeks, but these M&M cookies seem to disappear before I can even take a photo of them! I was finally able to make a batch this past weekend and sneak in a photo session before we ate them all. While this recipe does take a little bit of time because you need to chill the dough before baking them, I have been been breaking it into two baking sessions. I make the M&M cookie dough on one night, and then I bake the cookies the next day. I sometimes prefer baking this way because it makes the clean-up seem much more manageable when split over two days.
I used Valentine’s Day pink, red, and white M&Ms to make these, but you could switch up the M&M colors for any holiday or theme party…think Easter, Fourth of July, Halloween, Christmas, etc. You could even use the personalized M&Ms to bake up a special message for someone for this upcoming Valentine’s Day. Way better than conversation hearts in my opinion!
My husband and I gave out customized M&Ms as a wedding favor since our first name both starts with the letter M. We had our wedding date and our names printed on blue, green, and white M&Ms (our wedding colors). I should have used the extras to bake up a batch of these M&M cookies! Maybe I’ll have some reprinted for a fun anniversary gift in future years.
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 and ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&Ms (regular or seasonal)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour and baking soda with a whisk. Set flour mixture aside. Using the paddle attachment with an electric stand mix, mix the butter, brown sugar, and regular sugar together until combined and creamy. Next, add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and continue to mix. Add the flour mixture ½ cup at a time and mix until all flour/baking soda is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the stand and fold in the M&Ms with the spatula. (Don't mix in the M&Ms with the electric mixer or they will get crushed!)
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. The cookie dough will keep up to five days in the fridge.
- When you are ready to bake the M&M Cookies, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop to create small balls of dough and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Before baking, press a few more M&Ms onto the tops to add a little more color to the cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. The centers should still be slightly soft. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool a few minutes on the baking sheet and transfer to cooling racks. Store in a airtight container for up to seven days.
Source: Slightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction (I highly recommend checking out this blog if you have time- so many great cookie recipes…)