I was recently asked by Ocean Spray to try their Diet Cranberry Juice Drink in a smoothie recipe. I had been wanting to try a smoothie that involved spinach for the past few months and I thought cranberries and spinach sounded like the perfect combination. I came up with a diet cran-strawberry spinach smoothie recipe as a result. By swapping out a full calorie juice for a diet juice, such as Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice, you can cut calories and still enjoy a delicious, nutrient-packed smoothie. This smoothie would definitely be a great way to kick-start your day, especially if you are calorie conscious.
Since Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice only has 5 calories per serving, you can focus your calories in this smoothie on really nutritious ingredients. I love to use Greek yogurt in smoothie recipes as it packs in so much protein. I also used strawberries and half of a banana to add more nutrients and flavor. I used about 1/4 of a cup of spinach leaves in this particular smoothie, but I’ve heard that you can add up to 1 cup for a smoothie. Since it was my first time trying it, I started off with a small amount of spinach and I hope to build up to more as I get used to the taste. You could also try adding a little bit of flax seed or chia seeds to add in some omega-3 fatty acids.
While I thought the Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice was great in a smoothie, I also enjoyed it mixed with a glass of sparkling water. Ocean Spray also sent me a recipe card for an awesome sounding 50-calorie Cosmo which I definitely look forward to trying this summer post-pregnancy. For other Diet Cranberry Juice recipes, check out the Ocean spray website.
- ¾ cup Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Drink
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen strawberries (if you use fresh strawberries, be sure to add about ¼ cup of ice as well)
- ¾ cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- ½ banana
- ¼ cup baby spinach or regular spinach leaves (you can add up to 1 cup of spinach, but I recommend starting off with a small amount and working up to more if this is your first green smoothie)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend for a few seconds on high speed (you may need to stop the blender and scrape down the sides so that all ingredients get incorporated.) Continue to blend until everything is thoroughly combined. Serve in a large glass ( and preferably with a fun straw!)
Source: Adapted from Ocean Spray
Please note: I have partnered with Ocean Spray through DailyBuzz to help promote their new Ocean Spray Diet product. I have been compensated for my time commitment to work with this product, however my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.