In college, my roommate and I use to make Rice Krispies treats and eat them when they were hot and gooey before pushing them into a pan. Everytime I see the advertisement for Rice Krispies treats and their egg shaped recipes, I have the urge to make them. What’s better than homemade Rice Krispies treats? Homemade Rice Krispies treats shaped like eggs and dipped in peanut butter chocolate and sprinkles! That’s what I am talking about!
I also wanted to state that prepackaged Rice Krispies treats are nowhere as good as homemade ones. Not even close. Not one bit. No siree!
Okay, so to make egg-shaped Rice Krispies, you need plastic eggs which you will use as your mold. Cooking spray is your friend for this process for both the eggs and your hands. You could also use canola or vegetable oil if cooking spray isn’t your thing.
This recipe would be a lot of to make with your family. I would recommend making the peanut butter/ chocolate ahead of time in the microwave and letting it cool down a bit to thicken up. I thought of this genius idea after making them, but if you don’t have sprinkles you could use ground up graham crackers… mmmm s’mores. If you don’t like peanut butter, than skip this ingredient and melt another ounce or two of chocolate. Dipping Rice Krispie treat eggs could almost be as fun as dying real eggs.
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 10 oz. package regular marshmallow
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- cooking spray
- 5 oz. semi sweet melting chocolate (such as Baker’s)
- 1 tbsp. Crisco
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- In a large microwave safe bowl microwave butter for 1 minute or until melted. Add marshmallows and stir to coat with butter. Microwave the bowl of marshmallows for 2 additional minutes and stir to combine. Add in 6 cups of Rice Krispies and stir until combined.
- Cover a clean plastic Easter egg with cooking spray. Fill both sides with Rice Krispie treat mix and then close egg to stick both sides together. Lay egg on wax paper to cool. Continue this process until all of the mix is made into eggs. Use cooking spray as needed to prevent sticking.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl add in chocolate and Crisco. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in-between, until completely melted and smooth.
- Add peanut butter to chocolate and stir until combined.
- Dip Rice Krispies Treat eggs in chocolate peanut butter. Let cool slightly on wax paper then dip in sprinkles. Place in refrigerator until chocolate hardens. Best if enjoyed in the same day, if not store in an air tight container.
Source: Rice Krispies Treat Recipe is adapted from Kellogg’s Rice Krispies, PB Chocolate is a 2 Sisters 2 Cities’ original