One of our favorite holiday traditions is enjoying warm sticky buns after opening presents on Christmas morning. We are usually ravenous by the time we get to breakfast on that special day and these easy pecan sticky buns hit the spot every time. This recipe is great because you can prepare it ahead of time and bake it right before serving. This recipe calls for puff pastry (found in the freezer aisle) and unsalted butter (from the dairy aisle). These easy pecan sticky buns just might become a Christmas tradition for your family too!
While you are planning your holiday menu over the next week, don’t forget to shop the freezer and dairy aisle. Both aisles offer such a great variety of foods that can be used for special holiday meals and treats. For more holiday recipe ideas, check out the Easy Home Meals Pinterest boards or the Easy Home Meals website, sponsored by the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association.
- 12 tablespoons (1 and ½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¾ cup pecans
- 1 package (17.3-ounces/ 2-sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- Using the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the 12 tablespoons butter and ⅓ cup brown sugar with the paddle attachment. Use a small ice cream scoop to place the mixture in each of the 12 muffin cups. Add the pecans evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
- Meanwhile, flour a surface and unfold 1 sheet of the puff pastry with the folds going left to right. Brush the entire sheet with the melted butter. Leaving a 1-inch border on the puff pastry, sprinkle each sheet with ⅓ cup of the brown sugar, 1 and ½ teaspoons of the cinnamon, and ¼ cup of the raisins. Starting with the end closest to you, roll the pastry up tightly around the filling, finishing the roll with the seam side down.
- Cut off ½-inch off the ends of the roll and discard. Slice the roll in 6 equal pieces. Place each cut bun (spiral side up) into a cup of a standard-sized muffin pan.
- Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry to make 12 pecan sticky buns in total.
- Cover muffin pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving day.
- On serving day: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the muffin pan on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sticky buns are golden to dark brown on top and firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 5 minutes only and flip the buns onto the parchment paper (use a spoon to scoop out any remaining filling and pecans and pour onto the buns). Enjoy!
Source: Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa
k & m