For my first Christmas cookie recipe of the season, I decided to turn a traditional year-round cookie into a Christmas version of itself. I used red and green sugar crystals in the recipe to turn these Snickerdoodles into Christmas Snickerdoodles!
This recipe was super simple and it was the perfect cookie recipe to make with a 3-year old and 5-month old. After I formed a ball of cookie dough, I handed it to T and he would roll it in either the red or green sugar & cinnamon mixture, then place it on the pan. We got a good laugh as Baby N sat in his Bumbo chair and kept trying to grab for the red cookies…you can have cookies soon baby! I hope you have as much fun as I did making these Christmas Snickerdoodles this holiday season. (Just keep in mind that the dough needs to be refrigerated for one hour before baking- the perfect amount of time to grab a quick afternoon nap or watch a Christmas movie by the fire!)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 and ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons red sanding sugar or sugar crystals
- 2 tablespoons green sanding sugar or sugar crystals
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Add the softened butter to a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat butter on high for 30 seconds. Add the 1 and ½ cups sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt and mix until combined. Use a spatula to scrape the side of the mixing bowl if necessary. Turn off mixer and add in eggs and vanilla- mix for 30 more seconds until combined. Turn off mixer and add 1 cup of flour at a time, beating after each addition until flour is incorporated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour or more.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper. Add the red sugar into a small bowl and the green sugar into a second small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon into each bowl and mix. Shape dough into ~1 balls (you can make the balls smaller or larger based on how what size cookie you prefer. I ended up making 36 cookies from this batch of dough.)
- Roll balls in either the red or green sugar mixture until dough is coated. Place 2 inches apart on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool.