This weekend is Memorial Day Weekend, the unofficial start to summer! I am so excited for summer for the nice weather, the fresh produce, and the chilled desserts! My boyfriend and I have been taking advantage of the longer days and have started running. We have a park within walking distance from our house so we started a Couch to 5k Challenge. There is still a lot of running/walking, but we are half way through the program. It is so nice to be outside and taking advantage of the beautiful park we live near.
I made this pie a few weeks ago and it was the perfect cold dessert. I love the peanut butter/chocolate combination of the pie and topping it with chopped peanut butter cups makes it even more amazing. This pie would be the perfect Memorial Day dessert because you can make it ahead and it is cold and delicious. It’s actually even better the next day so feel free to make it a day ahead of time and chill completely in the refrigerator. Hope you all have a Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
- 16 Oreo cookies
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese (I used ⅓ fat kind), at room temperature
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- ½ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 3 cups of heavy cream
- ½ cup chopped peanut butter cups, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor pulse the Oreo cookies until finely ground. Pour the melted butter over the crumbs and pulse until butter is incorporated. In a 9" pie pan spray with non-stick spray. Dump the cookie crumbs into pie pan, spread evenly and work in to an even crust on the sides and bottom. Bake crust for 10-15 minutes until pie crust is set. Let cool completely before adding filling.
- In the bowl of your mixer fitted with a whisk attachment whip two cups of heavy cream until thick and fluffy. Put the whipped cream in a separate bowl and set aside for a later step.
- Add cream cheese and confectioners' sugar to empty mixer bowl and mix together until smooth.
- Beat in peanut butter, milk and chopped peanuts and beat together for about 1-2 minutes.
- Gently fold in 2 cups of the whipped cream by hand until everything is combined.
- Pour the filling out into the cooled crust and spread evenly. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- When serving, whip remaining whipped cream and top each slice with whipped cream and chopped peanut butter cups.
Source- Adapted from Emeril Lagasse