Since Easter is usually timed with the start of spring, it is often associated with bright and pastel colors. Oh, and of course bunnies and chicks! I was trying to think of a cupcake that could be Easter-themed. I know I could have gone with a carrot cake cupcake, but truthfully my all time favorite cupcake is vanilla with buttercream frosting.
Homemade funfetti cupcakes have been on my list of recipes I have been wanting to try for awhile. After finding the cutest Easter egg cupcake liners at Target- okay, I may be a little obsessed with Target- I decided to give this recipe a try. A fun way to top these colorful cupcakes is with a bright-colored marshmallow peep. My favorite peeps are the yellow ones of course! Make these cupcakes for your Easter weekend!
- 1 + ⅔ cup AP flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp.baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 Stick)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup sprinkles
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 3-4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Sprinkles, for topping
- Peeps, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together until combined.
- In the bowl of your mixer add butter and sugar. Mix until fluffy.
- Add in eggs and mix together.
- In a measuring cup mix together sour cream, milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients into mixer bowl in 3 parts alternating with sour cream/milk mixture.
- Mix until smooth. Gently fold in sprinkles into batter with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter into the 12 cupcake pans. Place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes
- Cream butter in bowl of mixer, add in 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla on medium speed. Beat until smooth and creamy, making sure to scrape down the sides to incorporate all of the ingredients. Gradually add in remaining confectioners’ sugar until the frosting is a good spreading consistency. Beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy, making sure not to over beat.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, prepare a pastry bag with a large star tip. Fill with frosting and swirl onto cupcakes. If you don’t have pastry bags or tips, glob a spoonful of frosting in the middle of cupcake and take a knife and smooth around. Top with sprinkles and peeps.
Source: Cupcakes adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction, Frosting is a 2 Sisters 2 Cities original